Thursday, January 31, 2013

New / Old Cabinet

I love the 1700 - 1800's and we live in a log cabin. When we moved from our 1st house, (which was my father's boyhood home and my Grandparent's first and only home), we took my favorite wall cupboard with us. The cupboard is a step-back and made of bead board. It had been built in place and had used the kitchen wall as the back of the cupboard and the floor of the kitchen as the floor of the cupboard. When we moved, my husband, Roger, added plywood for the back and built a floor under the cabinet. I had 'antiqued' the cupboard with a Avocado green, in the 70's. I removed the paint and brought it back close to the original color in the 80's. At that time my husband also rebuilt a bookcase that had been in my home when I was little. (Several of the boards where broken through being dismantled to remove it from the house when my brother was updating).
In our cabin, the stepback is sitting next to our front loading washer and dryer units in the eat-in part of our open floor plan kitchen.  Let me say that my husband strongly dislikes carpentry. Let me also say that I had asked him, (and he complied), to build me a 3500 sq. ft. log home, the kitchen cabinets, spice cabinet and kitchen island which I had designed! I have to pick and choose what I would like for him to build and a batch of my Grandpa Jenkin's Chocolate Chip cookies thrown in doesn't hurt! This time I asked him to build a primitive style cupboard which will house both my washer and dryer and would have a top part to store laundry supplies and perhaps additional kitchen supplies. (Just a small project! )
I started by researching some of the different primitive style cupboards online. I also drew a few sketches of the style and design that I had in mind. I would like it to look primitive and not be too expensive to build and I also wanted it to be functional. I wanted to be able to access the controls on the top of the washer.  Both the washer and dryer are both front loaders.  I also wanted the cabinet to be able to be removed in case of needing machine repairs. The back needed to be open for the hook ups of the washer and the dryer vent. The light switch and outlets, located on the wall behind the unit, also needed to be useable. 
 
The original cupboard was built using beadboard. I wanted to use beadboard to replicate the older cupboard, but the lumber was more costly and I decided that not all cupboards were made with beadboard during those times. So, we will be using the pine paneling which we were already installing as walls in our cabin. Tongue and groove pine. Grooved on one side, flat on the other side.
We could always flip it to the flat side if we decide not to us the 'right' side.
 
 
To be able to see what size space the new cupboard would take, I used a couple boards and several boxes to build a 'fake' cabinet.  I would have liked a smaller base to the cabinet, but I realized that it would house the washer and dryer and provide a top that would be useful for folding laundry.
 
 

No one has ever used the word 'Conventional' and my name in the same sentence! Hey! I'm the one who has a full size porch swing hanging in my kitchen! :0)
So, we visited Home Depot for 20 10ft? boards and a can of Min-wax stain. Today, Roger started building the cabinet with the help of Jenny. (Justin had a college class to attend so he will probably be helping later.
 
After class Justin helped out and Jenny went to help babysit at our daughter, Joy's house.
 
 
 
 
Stay tuned for additional updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment